I’ve eaten a lot of mac & cheese since Matt and I moved to the States and it’s really become a guilty pleasure of mine. This recipe is a little twist on your traditional version with the addition of roasted cauliflower to provide a crunchier texture to go alongside the creamy macaroni. The spinach adds a great additional flavour to the cheesy sauce and gives your mac & cheese a little pop of colour.
I’d recommend using a nice mature cheddar for the basis of your cheese sauce, as it’ll pack a good punch however mac & cheese is versatile enough to work with most cheeses so if you have a favourite in mind, use it! Parmesan is a great cheese for sprinkling over the top as it will go a gorgeous golden brown colour when baking.
- 220g macaroni pasta
- 30g butter
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 325ml milk
- 100g cheddar, grated
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2/3 cauliflower head, cut into bite size florets
- 40g spinach
- handful of breadcrumbs
- 30g Parmesan, grated
- Preheat your oven to 360 Fahrenheit / 180 Celcius
- Begin by boiling your macaroni according to it’s instructions. As it’s a small pasta it should only take 6-7 minutes. Once cooked, drain and leave to the side.
- Heat a large saucepan on a low heat and add the butter. Then throw in your minced garlic and let it cook away for a couple of minutes.
- Then add your flour, a tablespoon at a time and combine with the butter using a wooden spoon.
- Next, you need to add the milk slowly, whisking as you go, to ensure the sauce remains smooth and lump-free.
- Next, remove the saucepan from the heat and slowly stir in most of the cheddar, leaving a small handful. Then do the same with the Parmesan, leaving just enough to sprinkle over your dish at the end.
- Now stir in your macaroni, cauliflower and spinach, ensuring that it is all covered in your delicious cheese sauce. The spinach will look like a lot at first but will wilt down very quickly.
- Now pour your mac & cheese into an oven-proof dish and sprinkle over your breadcrumbs, cheddar and Parmesan.
- Finally, put your scrumptious mac & cheese into the oven and leave for around 30-40 minutes, until the top is golden and crispy.