There is nothing better than beautifully British crumble and this lovely fruit-filled version is perfect for sunny afternoons in the garden. I prefer making an oaty crumble topping because it’s extra crunchy and adds a great texture. It’s best served hot with dollops of cream or custard.
- 1 large cooking apple – peeled and cut into chunks
- 150g fresh British blackberries
- 120g fresh British strawberries – quartered
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 100g butter
- 100g demerera sugar
- 130g plain flour
- 90g rolled oats
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius/gas mark 7/425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the apple by peeling, coring and cutting it into bite-size chunks.
- Add the apples, strawberries and blackberries into an oven-proof dish and sprinkle over the caster sugar and lemon juice.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the butter, demerera sugar and flour. Rub the ingredients together until they make a coarse mixture (don’t worry about making it too even). Then stir in the rolled oats and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle the topping over your fruit until it is all covered. Be sure not to pile it on too thick, or it will not cook right through.
- Put your crumble into the oven and leave to cook for 25-30 minutes, or until it is a crisp golden-brown on top.