I think everyone knows that homemade guacamole is far superior to the store bought stuff. It’s generally fresher and you’re able to easily control the flavours to make sure it’s exactly right for you.
Whilst I’m a little biased, I really do think I make a kick-ass guacamole. I try to keep it simple and not overload it too much with completing spices and flavours. I actually put this recipe together because I’m making a few guacamole-based meals in the next few days, so I thought I’d give you all a chance to try my awesome homemade guac (and see just how good it is) before I convince you to start using it as more than just a delicious dip.
The key to making perfect guacamole is the avocados; If your avocados aren’t ripe, the guac is not going to taste as good. Just give the avocados a little squeeze to check for ripeness – you want just a little give from the avocado. If it’s too hard, it isn’t ripe yet.
This recipe makes enough for 2 big dipping pots. You can also make lots of batches at once and store them in the freezer- homemade guacamole will keep for around 3 months in the freezer, which makes it great for when you find out you’ve got people coming over short notice. I am the queen of pulling things out of the freezer to make it look like I’m a domestic goddess. So make your life a little easier (and a lot tastier) with this awesome guacamole.
- 2 avocados, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 of a red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli pepper, finely chopped
- handful of chopped cilantro
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper.
- 1 tsp cumin
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Start off my placing your avocados in a bowl and mashing them. You can either use a fork, or if you're in a rush, you can use a pestle to get the job done quickly.
- When the avocados have been mashed, add in the tomato, onion, cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin and lime juice and give it all a good stir around.
- This guacamole will last for a couple of days in the fridge, or you can keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Leave a Reply