I make a lot of different fish pies and recently I’ve been using puff pastry instead of the traditional mashed potato topping, because it’s lighter and perfect for spring time. Using a smoked fish creates a lovely strong flavour and the result is simply delicious!
Smoked Haddock, Broccoli & Leek Puff Pastry Pie
- 400g smoked haddock
- 200g Leek (sliced)
- 200g Broccoli florets
- 2 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 handful of spinach
- 120 ml white wine
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 2 tsp. of salt
- 2 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tbsp of plain flour
- 150g Puff Pastry
- 1 egg yolk (for washing the pastry)
- Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius / 400 Fahrenheit / Gas mark 6.
- Place a medium size saucepan on a medium heat and add the olive oil. Throw in the leek, broccoli and garlic and sauté for 8 minutes. Make sure you are stirring regularly so nothing sticks to the pan.
- Add in the white wine, smoked haddock, salt and black pepper and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Whilst the filling is simmering, roll out your puff pastry on a clean surface, adding a sprinkling of flour so it doesn’t stick. Cut out enough pastry to cover the top of the oven proof dish that your pie will be cooked in.
- Into the saucepan pour your stock and cream, followed by the flour and simmer for 10 minutes. This should be enough time for the mixture to begin to thicken and look really creamy. This is a great chance to give it a taste and season if needed.
- Spoon the filling into your pie dish and add your pastry topping. Score it with a knife and brush it with the egg yolk.
- Add you pie to the oven and cook for around 30 minutes. You will know it is done when the pastry turns a rich golden brown.
- Serve piping hot.
Leave a Reply